Friday, July 6, 2018

Lions Motto - "We serve" - What does it mean?






These two emails are the last two communication between LCI and me. LCI has categorically told me that they will not communicate with me. 

But then there are many other avenues to seek a solution and to put things right. 

Lions all over the world should learn that they cannot sweep things under the carpet. Clubs should realise that there are Lions including Lions who have been expelled who actually live by the motto"We serve" and they do not follow the crowd.

The following is my last email to LCI and LCI's response. LCI did not address the many questions I had raised in my email posted in my last article and neither have they tried to see the logic in this email - my last email-  to them. 

I will tag other Lions and see if they have any comments.


From: luqman michel [mailto:luqmanm2002@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2018 4:08 PM
To: Kingsbury, David <David.Kingsbury@lionsclubs.org>; President <president@lionsclubs.org>; Finance <Finance@lionsclubs.org>; District Administration <districtadministration@lionsclubs.org>; Legal <legal@lionsclubs.org>; Lion Magazine <magazine@lionsclubs.org>
Subject: An open letter

Dear Mr.David Kingsbury,

I wrote to LCI Finance on 12.12.2016 and then to LCI Finance, Administration and Legal on 13.12.2016 and once more on 18.12.2016 and complained about bank accounts of my Lions Club not audited by our auditors and not presented to Registry of Societies or to the members.

My note now: I had also written another an email to LCI on 3.1.2017 on 'status quo - reminder'. This email too,  was before my expulsion by LCKKHost.

I had specifically said that these matters cannot be dealt with by the club as many of the influential members are involved and you had instructed me to get local leaders to investigate.

At the same time that I wrote to you, I also had written to the DG at that time, DG Eve Wong and the VDG who is now the DG – DG Pelly Lee and several PDG’s.
You had asked DG Eve Wong to investigate and yet she did not.


My note now: DG Eve Wong upon receipt of my first email had washed her hand off the matter by saying Lions clubs are autonomous and I should write to LCI. The VDG - Pelly Lee who just finished her term as DG for year 2017/2018  whom I wrote to several times had nothing to say.

I had also written to  Tiong Yong Tiing who is the current DG and  he too did not respond to any of my emails.


You had said that in the event the DG does not appoint a conciliator within a certain time you would appoint one.

All these emails were sent to each and every one of you while I was still a member and had locus standi.

All of you have been irresponsible and not taken action when you should have.

Now, you, Mr. David Kingsbury are shirking your duty by saying that I had informed the authorities and therefore you will wait for the local authorities to investigate.

I have told you from the beginning that this is not a Club Dispute Resolution Procedure (CDRP) issue but an offence that I am complaining about. 


My note now: How can an offence - an illegal act committed by a few of the most influential members- be considered a club dispute? 

I had given you evidence of manipulation of minutes by PDG John SF Ho via the secretary Lion Francis Liew.

I have given you the bank account numbers which have never been produced to the BOD and other members. I have given you proof that these bank accounts are not reported to the Registry of Societies.


My note now: The minutes of Board Meeting for June 2018 has now miraculously disclosed 5 bank accounts when in actuality only 2 bank accounts have been disclosed to the board as well as to Registry of Societies (ROS) for more than a decade in the past. What more proof is LCI waiting for?

Minutes of meetings of Lions Club of Kota Kinabalu Host show that grants have been received from LCIF but LCIF has said that it does not have record of grants issued to this club.


My note now: LCIF when questioned stopped corresponding with me and pushed the matter to LCI. The question still remains. With technological advancement such as what is existing today is LCIF not able to confirm if Grants were actually made to Lions Club of Kota Kinabalu Host. LCKKHost has confirmed in the minutes that grants were actually received from LCIF. Which is the truth?

I have shown you the letter from Mr. Kim Goldsworthy’s to me and to Past President Lie Chin Man stating that his good name has been misrepresented by PDG John SF Ho at the special meeting to convince the members that I should be expelled from the club. You could easily check this matter with Mr. Goldsworthy himself as he is a parliamentarian and expert in Robert’s Rules, and he is  based in US.

I have given you the newspaper report where registry of Societies had issued a show cause letter to the club. You have read the newspaper report on the response by the club saying among other things that any excess of grants given by LCIF may be used for club expenses.

Having given all these evidences, I had requested one or more conciliators to question me and make an independent report to you and you still have the audacity to say that this is all a matter to be dealt by CDRP. And, having messed up, now say that you can’t investigate the matter because it is being investigated by local authorities.

How do you reconcile this with your motto ‘We serve’?
Kind regards,
Luqman Michel


Kingsbury, David <David.Kingsbury@lionsclubs.org>
To:luqman michel,President,Finance,District Administration,Legal
24 Feb at 06:19
Dear Mr. Michel,

As you have been advised on countless occasions, club funds are managed by a local club and must be done so in accordance with local law.  


My note now: Funds must be managed in accordance with local laws? Who is Mr.David Kingsbury of LCI trying to kid? I have it in writing from the manageress of LCIF that any excess from grants should be returned to LCIF. How would the local authorities know that the secretary had lied to the press when he said that any excess funds can be utilised by the club? 


You have filed formal complaints with the local authorities based on your allegations and those appropriate authorities have found no wrongdoing and no evidence of criminal behavior. Further, you were removed as a member of the Kota Kinabalu Host Lions Club in January 2017. Therefore, as you are not a member of the Kota Kinabalu Host Lions club and the appropriate authorities have determined that evidence you provided to support your allegations was insufficient to demonstrate wrongdoing, no further action may be taken in this matter. 

My comment now: What a load of nonsense! The matter with ROS is still on-going. Does no one know that ROS has not responded to the reply from the club? Did ROS tell David Kingsbury that the evidence I provided is insufficient? Does David Kingsbury not know that most of the evidence PP Norman Lie Chin Man and I had provided to the police is obtained from ROS itself?

What does David Kingsbury mean by '... as you are no longer a member'...? The fact is that I was a member when I reported the matter to LCI, DG, VDG, 2nd VDG, PDG's and members.

I still believe this should be resolved by local leaders as otherwise this will open the flood gates for misappropriation by other clubs which are not (an assumption) , at the moment, involved in such criminal activities. 


This is the final communication you will receive on this matter.

Kindest regards,

David Kingsbury
Attorney
Legal Division

1 comment:

Luqman Michel said...

The vast majority of LCIF’s funding comes through the generous donations from Lions clubs and individual members.

I believe there should be strict accountability of such donations given to LCIF.

When LCKKHost states in writing that it has received funds from LCIF and if LCIF says it did not give LCKKHost any grant then how does LCIF monitor grants given?