Saturday, October 6, 2018

Lions Club - I am baffled



I am still baffled by what I had heard from Lions Club International. If there are any Lions reading this please educate me.

I wrote to the District Governor, many past presidents and LCI Legal, Admin and Finance, when I was still a member, about misappropriation of funds from my former Lions Club.

I was told that Lions Clubs are autonomous and therefore none of them will involve themselves.

My club was deregistered by the Registry of Societies on 28.6.2018. I wrote to LCI and was informed that the club was still in good standing.

Now, I understand that my former club in under the insolvency department.

LCI has categorically said that they will not respond to my emails as I am not a member of any Lions Club. (See email from LCI Legal below.)

I have a question which I would like any Lion or Lions Club to respond to, please.

Is this word ‘Autonomous’ being misinterpreted?

What if 20 crooks get together and form a Lions Club and then ask for donations from the public and get grants from LCIF for projects and siphon off funds for themselves?

Would other Lions in the world keep their orifices shut and not do anything because Lions Clubs are autonomous?

Read more in my book 'Wolves among Lions'

  Here is the last email I received from LCI.

Kingsbury, David <David.Kingsbury@lionsclubs.org>
To:luqman michel,President,District Administration,Legal,Finance
1 Aug at 22:16
Dear Mr. Michel,

As previously advised, whether a Lions club is properly registered with its local government is a responsibility of the club as an autonomous legal entity, and such registration status is independent of whether a respective Lions club is in good standing within the policies of LCI. Therefore, provided that a member in good standing is in a club that is in good standing, they may hold any office as provided in the district’s constitution and by-laws.

Please be further advised that as you are not a member of any Lions club, we must advise that you take any complaints to the local authorities.

This office will no longer respond to your inquiries on matters regarding registration under local law.

Kindest regards,

David Kingsbury
Attorney // Legal Division

1 comment:

Luqman Michel said...

I understand that Lions International Dues have been paid to LCI for 2018/2019. I have yet to confirm this news. I have written an email to Lions International and hope to receive a response before I post my email to LCI and its response.