Saturday, June 23, 2018

Emails to LCI after my expulsion from Lions Club



The following are emails to and fro Luqman/ LCI after my expulsion in January 2017.

I thought that once I had complained while I am a member; complaints after being expelled will still be entertained.


Kingsbury, David <David.Kingsbury@lionsclubs.org>
To:luqmanm2002@yahoo.co.uk,Finance@lionsclubs.org,legal@lionsclubs.org,districtadministration@lionsclubs.org
Cc:evewonglb@gmail.com
14 Feb 2017 at 01:26

Dear Lion Michel,

Thank you for contacting the Legal Division.

As an initial matter, all Lions clubs are autonomous, meaning that each Lions club is responsible for complying with local laws, handling its own finances and addressing membership matters. If you believe that the Lions club is mishandling club accounts, we recommend speaking with district leadership to review this matter.

With respect to your removal as a member, if you believe that your removal was unjustified, a complaint may be filed under the Club Dispute Resolution Procedure (CDRP). The CDRP provides in part

All disputes arising between any member or members, or a former member or members, and the club, or any officer on the board of the club, relative to membership, or the interpretation, breach of, or application of the club’s constitution and by-laws, or the expulsion of any member from the club, or any other internal Lions club matter whatsoever which cannot be satisfactorily resolved through other means, shall be settled by dispute resolution.

As you will note, matters relating to membership and other internal Lions matters must be resolved under the CDRP if the parties are unable to reach an amicable resolution. You may review the CDRP at http://www.lionsclubs.org/resources/EN/pdfs/club_dispute.pdf.

I trust I have provided guidance in this matter.

Kindest regards,

David Kingsbury
Staff Attorne

Note:The highlight in red above is done by me now to show that LCI had actually told me that there are two matters here:

1. To be resolved by CDRP
2. To be settled by District leaders

I was not interested in CDRP (Club Dispute Resolution Procedures) as the cards will be stacked against me as many of the members were well to do long standing members who were in this thing together. The EGM was attended by members whom I had never met and members who had not attended even one meeting in the two years I had been a member.




luqman michel <luqmanm2002@yahoo.co.uk>
To:David.Kingsbury@lionsclubs.org,Finance@lionsclubs.org,legal@lionsclubs.org,districtadministration@lionsclubs.org
Cc:evewonglb@gmail.com
14 Feb 2017 at 05:17


Dear Mr. David Kingsbury,
Thank you for your email. I understand what you have said in your email and one previous email written to me on 4.1.2017.


I have brought this up with the DG of the day and also to the chairperson of council of constitution and by-law PDG Bobby Eng.


PDG Bobby Eng does not even have the courtesy of responding to emails.

The PDG's I have written to do not respond either except for PDG Karen Koh who forwarded my email to DG.


Mr. Kingsbury, I do hope the DG and her PDG's will look into this matter and deal with it in a manner befitting Lions.


I believe this is not a club matter but one that is of the Lion Movement as many rules and regulations outlined in the Lions manual have been violated.


The committee of Constitution and Law should take action against President Thomas Ho and PDG John Ho and strip them of their titles as a lesson to all Lions.


As I have written to the DG with documentary evidence and also discussed with her in person on 12.2.17 John Ho and Thomas Ho have done undue damage to the prestigious Lion Movement  including:

1. Having 3 bank accounts (in addition to two known to all members) not made known to most members including most past presidents and directors of the club.
2. All 3 bank accounts not being audited as specified in the LCI manual.
3. Cheques in the 3 accounts signed by unauthorised member not approved by the Board.

3. Minuting matters on religion (I object to this behaviour strongly) in the BOD minutes.
4. Getting members at large who have not attended any BOD/Regular meetings over the two years I have been a member to vote at the EGM.
5. Using monies in the 3 accounts for expenditure other than what they were meant for.

6. Conduct unbecoming of a Lion.
7. Falsifying entries in the Registry on Societies including:-

i. Listing nonexistent posts like Assistant Secretary and Assistant Treasurer

ii. Not declaring the office lot as a fixed asset.

iii. Nor declaring the actual cash at bank.

iv. Mixing up bank names with bank account number.
v.  Not listing most of the office bearers.
vi. etc


I believe the DG should bring this matter up at the next convention to be held in April and have it discussed by all PDG's present and come up with guidelines on how to deal with similar situations in the future.


Mr. Kingsbury, you said "As you will note, matters relating to membership and other internal Lions matters must be resolved under the CDRP".

I believe this is more than a matter for resolving under CDRP.


Meanwhile, I am looking forward to meeting the DG who had said she will meet with me on her next trip to Kota Kinabalu on 17.2.2017.

Thank you and kind regards,
Luqman Michel


My note now:  Is this a dispute between members to be resolved by the DG? I am still unsure.


luqman michel <luqmanm2002@yahoo.co.uk>
To:david.kingsbury@lionsclubs.org,president@lionsclubs.org
22 Mar 2017 at 20:41

Dear Mr.David and Mr. Bob Corlew,
I had written a letter requesting CDRP to be instituted by Ms.Eve Wong on 12.2.2017.

To-date despite many emails to her she has not been able to set up a committee to settle this matter between me and my former club.


Sirs, the CDRP procedures states:

'If the DG does not appoint a conciliator to hear the dispute within 15 days of receipt of the complaint, the Legal Division will appoint a conciliator to hear the dispute.'

I hereby request you to please appoint a conciliator preferably from Sarawak (Under 308A2) to settle this matter as soon as possible.

I attach a scanned copy of the letter handed over to Ms.Eve on 12.2.2017 in the presence of a president of LCKK City Park Mr.Chong Tshen Vui.

I also attach herewith my response to Mr.John Ho's email dated 21.3.2017

I hope to hear from you as soon as possible.
Thank you and kind regards,
Luqman Michel

Note: Bob Corlew was the International President at that time.

No comments: