Wednesday, November 2, 2016

My club experiences



I seldom went out since 2002 and stayed at home and taught dyslexic kids on a one on one basis. When I was not teaching I studied Mandarin on the internet from free websites and read many books.

In October 2014 a few friends persuaded me to join the club they belong to. I attended Board meetings as well as fellowship meetings and enjoyed the projects they carried out for the good of the public. I was very keen on the projects carried out by my club.

In June 2015 I was nominated to become one of the directors of the club. I began to learn as much as possible about the club and the work they did. During the meetings I was mostly a passive listener.

At a meeting in May 2016 I asked the secretary to write to our Head Office to claim for the 100%  Attendance Pin for all those eligible. I knew I would be eligible as I had attended all meetings.

The President said that I was the only one eligible for the 100%  Attendance Pin. Immediately there were objections saying that attendance of other clubs meetings and attending projects should also be taken into account. These other meetings were called ‘Make up Meetings’. Not a single member knew that the 100% Attendance Pin had been done away with by our Head Office. Not a single member knew what a ‘Make up Meeting’ was.

Subsequent to the meeting there were many Whatsapp exchanges between members where each member started saying what he thought about the Pin and Make up meeting. No one was sure.

I was in Kudat with some friends from Kuala Lumpur when I received a telephone call from my president asking me to find out from the internet a little more information about the Pin and Make up Meeting.

I did this as soon as I returned home from the trip. I found some information from the web-site on the Pin and emailed to our list of members. I also wrote to a friend in US (Not the HO) and received a succinct response to my questions. I emailed this to all the members as well.

Two members from my club expressed their thanks for my effort.

The whole email group, on the other hand, received an email from someone who had never attended any BOD/ Regular meeting since I joined in October 2014. More importantly he did not have a clue as to what transpired at the meeting where the pin and ‘make up meeting’ were discussed.

I will post the whole of the emails in my next few posts.

No comments: