Monday, November 7, 2016

Altered minutes by the President


The following extract from my club's 4th BOD meeting is fabricated by a puppeteer from my club.

e). President tabled an email from Ln. Luqman Mitchel dated 11th September,2016 calling the President by using bad word and accusing and threatening the President. Copies of the email and various postings from Ln. Luqman’s facebook were distributed to all members at the meeting.
Concern was expressed on the tension, aggression, discomfort and conflict caused by such behavior which does not augers well for the harmony and unity of KK Host members and it also violates our Lions Code of Ethics.
After establishing that it is a club’s matter, President requested the Membership Committee to look into the issues and make recommendations on an appropriate action for the Board to take. However, Membership Chairman declined on the ground of conflict of interest as he is also Ln. Luqman’s sponsor and suggested the Past Presidents’ Council instead.
It was resolved to request the Past Presidents’ Council to look into all the issues and make recommendations to the Board.

My comments: The email dated 11.9.2016 is a private email between President Thomas Ho Thau Phin, PP Norman and myself. I attach the email below.

I have been asked to attend a meeting by the PP Council to respond to allegations brought up by the President at the last BOD meeting. I have been waiting for this meeting for more than 2 weeks.
I am not pleased with the above action of my character assassination before the findings. The BOD members may be aware of the contents of my private email to The President but not the rest of the members?
Should the BOD members not be reprimanded for writing to all members when the inquiry has not been conducted? When was such powers given to BOD? Power was never abused when I was director in 2015/2016?

Now, I would like to ask the President and the BOD:

1.       How and why did they use the words ‘bad word’? Which of the word in my email is ‘bad word’? 
2.       How does a private email to the President not auger well with the harmony and unity of KK Host members?
3.       What in my email specifically violates the Lions Code of Ethics?

Please read the actual emails sent by the President to me and my response. I will give my comments below.

Thomas Ho
Sep 11





to Ln, me
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
Dear PP Norman,

I am forwarding the email from Lion Luqman to you, as his sponsoring Lion to " provide him with information about Lion Clubs, its officers and administration and be ready and willing to answer any questions that may arise " as you have pledged to do so at his induction.

Please inform him that if he wishes to know whether and when he can speak at meetings, he should refer, read and understand Robert's Rules of order ( Newly Revised ) mentioned in KK Host Constitution & By Laws Article XV and also in Article X of our District 308 A2 Constitution and By Laws.

My comment now: This is a direct insult to my intelligence. I have not only been a member of this club for 2 years but have been a director for one year. The above has been taken out of context by the President. During the 3rd BOD/Regular meeting during AOB (Any Other Business) I raised my hand and asked a question after being given permission by the President. Lion Queeny then raised her hand and asked as to how Ln Luqman who is not a member of the Board is allowed to speak. I therefore asked the President as to what is the meaning of BOD/ Regular meeting? His response was that he did not know as this has been called BOD/Regular meeting ever since the time he joined the club 5 years ago. Obviously I am not satisfied with this answer especially coming from someone who says he has read and understood Robert’s Rules.

At a regular meeting am I, as a member, not allowed to speak?  

Note: What prompted a 20 year old member who has been a director many times in the 20 years and attended so many meeting over the years to ask such a question? Is there something lacking in KK Host training of its members/ Directors?

Please also let him know that l have been properly and duly elected as the president of KK Host and am therefore fully authorised to represent and act on behalf of our club and to sign all club's letters. I may, of course, delegate any of those authority to my board or any member. I would state unequivocally here, l have NOT, and neither have my board, authorised Lion Luqman to sign any letters on behalf of our club and would be wise for him not to do so. Any infringement thereof would invoke disciplinary action. The matter of club letterheads should now be put to rest.

My comment: The part that has been highlighted is what I was unhappy and still very upset about as it questions my upbringing. I have responded to this in full below.

I am certain answers have been given to every question raised by Lion Luqman even though those answers may not be what he wants to hear and may not serve his purpose. Please tell him he does not need anyone's permission to write to or to seek answers (in his personal capacity) from anybody but he should be aware no one owes him any duty to respond and, by not doing so, it should never be interpreted that he/she does not know the answers. He should also be reminded that he should not, even remotely, bring our club into disrepute with whatever he writes.

To understand the Lions Code of Ethics and that as a Lions, we should "serve" and make our community a better place to live in without aiming to "collect awards" and certainly not complain, create conflicts and unrest for people. 

My comment: “Aiming not to collect awards” again appears odd to me as I have seen awards being given all the time- International awards, District awards, Zone Awards, Club Awards, Personal awards etc.
For those who are not familiar with this ‘award episode’ let me explain. This occurred in May last year when I requested the secretary to apply for the ‘100% perfect attendance award’ from Lion International. This went into lengthy discussion on whatsapp. Someone decided that this award may be given to whoever who has been active. I do not agree with that decision but I accepted it.

At the Pre-board meeting held sometime in Mid June the President elect had announced that all awards will be at the discretion of the President. My question on what are the criteria for receiving such award has been shot down with the above ‘makes our community a better place to live in without aiming to "collect awards"’.

What do I answer if some new members were to ask me the criteria for receiving awards? Failing to give a satisfactory answer what if they tell me ‘after 2 years in the club you still do not know the criteria for awards?’

On 30th June 2016 at a fellowship function about 10 of us received the ‘100% Perfect Attendance’ Pin.

My predicament will be when a new member asks me ‘Ln. Luqman wow! So many of you have 100% Perfect Attendance awards? How will I answer him/her?

I wanted all this to be just among The President, my sponsor PP Norman and myself but President has decided to write to all of the members in KK host.(Refer highlight in red below)

I had also ‘whatsapp’ messaged the President on 13.9.2016 as follows:

13.9.2016
Good morning President. I request a meet up with you asap. I simply don’t have time to continue with this charade. Please let us meet.
13.9.16
Good morning Ln Luqman. Sorry I am busy these few days. I have few things to rush before I travel. Meanwhile, I can’t confirm you.

Luqman Michel <luqmanmichel@gmail.com>
Sep 11







to Thomas, Ln
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
Dear President,
I am not going to waste my time answering your email as it is not directly dealing with questions I have raised.  When I am a little less busy, perhaps at the end of the year, I shall enlighten you and your ghost writer how to respond to emails or letters.
Meanwhile, I am very upset with part of your paragraph I have copied herewith.
“I would state unequivocally here, l have NOT, and neither have my board, authorised Lion Luqman to sign any letters on behalf of our club and would be wise for him not to do so. Any infringement thereof would invoke disciplinary action.”
Unless you are a complete idiot you could not have written the above. I had clearly asked you for a letter head and you had asked me to write to PP Delce. If neither Delce nor you had given me, how could I have laid my hands on a letter head? Are you insinuating that I would steal letter heads from somewhere?
My explanation now:
I believe that the above email to PP Norman is not written by the President as this does not appear to be his style of writing. All of you know that President Thomas cannot string 2 sentences in English without a grammatical error and how did he write such a flawless letter as above. Who is the person writing these emails for The President? Whose words are the words in the minutes of the 4th BOD meeting?
The President who knows the A to Z about the letter head episode cannot have written the above unless he is a complete idiot. This letter is written by a ghost writer.
I had written on the 25.8.2016 saying that I am busy with my court case and handed over all emails to and from sponsors I had written to. As such why does The President warn me?
Now, ask yourself who is creating the “tension, aggression, discomfort and conflict” mentioned in the minutes of the BOD meeting? Who is threatening whom?
Let me tell you, in fact let me warn you, (我警告)
1. Don’t you dare question my up-bringing. I have been brought up properly by loving parents. I have not been taught by my parents to do anything that is improper.
2. Don’t you dare question a 2 year old member of Lions Club KK Host on doing wrong things. I am part of Lions Club of KK Host and proud of it and will not let anyone to bring disrepute to my club’s name, including you and your ghost writer.
3. Don’t you dare, ever again, question my sponsor who is now a Past President. He has taught me many things and in my 2 years I have learned more and know more than most of your 3 or 4 years old members. Don’t you dare pass the buck to my sponsor on questions you can easily ask your PP council and pass on to all members who will benefit from your answers to my questions.
4. Don’t you dare judge me by your ghost writer’s standard.

I want a direct answer to this email. I am now asking you to apologise for making such an uncalled for remark on my sponsor’s and my integrity. This will end between the three of us.

You say you will take disciplinary action against me but I have no qualms in bringing this up with our DG and if not satisfied with her response, I will bring it up to LCI.
The ball is at your court.

Mr. President, do not let others decide for you. You are the President use your God given brains to think and act accordingly.
My explanation now: I do respect the chair. However, I don’t and won’t take it sitting down when anyone questions my integrity. This is something I have built up over the past 64 years and I won’t allow anyone to destroy it.
President, don’t “Bi hu tiao qiang.”
     My explanation now: The above quotation is one the first Chinese quotations I learned. “A tiger will  not jump over the wall unless it is forced.”
Your friend in Lionism,
Luqman Michel

No comments: