Thursday, January 25, 2018

Better to be a Lion for one day than a sheep all your life



A friend shared my post and his friend made some comments which I have copied here and give my response so that my friends may be enlightened.

Audited accounts of the club will be presented to member at an AGM and the members if satisfied can approve it. Alternatively, it will be rejected. Misappropriation is a criminal matter which must be reported to the police by members. It is not within the ROS jurisdiction to interfere how the auditing of the account is conducted so long as the members had adopted the audited accounts.


My comment: When members have not been informed and are in the dark about 3 bank accounts, that have never been made known to directors and other members at BOD/Regular meetings, can't the approval of accounts at an AGM be subsequently questioned when extra bank accounts have been brought to light?

Is the approval of members valid when they have been hoodwinked by some of the members who had worked together to keep other members in the dark?

I don’t believe that ROS has no jurisdiction on how the auditing of the accounts is conducted when bank accounts have been hidden even from auditors of the club.


Luqman, have you been a member of lions club in question very long? Have you diligently attended the AGM/EGM? These provide avenues for members to scrutinize the Financial Reports before being finalised and adopted. There are certain constitutional procedures to be followed in which to present any objections. Reporting to the Police might to a certain extent require the General Members' consent especially when such action can jeopardize the Club as a whole. Members must first of all exhaust all avenues afforded to them under the Constitution before going any further UNLESS there is a compelling reasons to do otherwise.


My comment: I had attended all the directors meetings and the AGM during my year as director. The 3 extra bank accounts were not presented to the members. I have copies of minutes of 3 AGM's and all the minutes of the directors meetings since October 2014 to January 2017and none of them mentioned the extra 3 bank accounts.

I think this man (who is commenting) does not know what he is talking about when he says that reporting to the police needs the General Members’ consent. He does not understand that most people in the world will not stick out their neck when they may be criticised let alone get into problems with authorities.

I had exhausted all avenues before going to ROS and the police. Each time I was prepared to apologise and move on the members were not keen.

I believe that having three extra bank accounts and not responding to my emails to all members asking if there were more accounts than the 2 presented to me as director for year 2015/2016 is compelling enough a reason to go to the authorities.


What matters at the end of the day is the Audited Financial report. As far as the ROS is concerned the filing of these documents is a must. They have no rights to dictate how the Club is being run so long as the relevant provisions in the Constitution are duly adhered to.

My comment: What this man is saying is that if a group of people decide to start a club and operate it under a name that is not even registered with ROS and then operate bank accounts which are not disclosed to ROS, ROS has no right to question the club. Does ROS have no right to question a club on its Financial report if a complainant had complained that fixed assets such as club premises, air conditioners and furniture and fittings have not been accounted for? Even with stretching my mind I can’t fathom this man’s logic.


Questioning is healthy BUT your actions had heroicly exceeded the permissible boundaries to the extent that your continued existence is harmful to the Club's and its well being, I am afraid you were the architect of your own fallout.


My comment: I honestly did not know there was a permissible boundary to tell the truth. This has nothing to do with being heroic but being a good citizen. 

What does “My continued existence” mean?


The power of the Club's are vested on the members. You must understand and appreciate this. If members refused to take actions deemed necessary you can't force them. Upon your dismissal from the Club you might have lost your locus standi.


My comment: Of course I can’t force the members to do anything against their wishes. But, if members refuse to take action deemed necessary I of course have other avenues to explore.

                                                             Shan bu zhuan lu zhuan
                                                      More than one way to skin a cat.
Of course I have Local Standi (the right or capacity to bring an action) with ROS and the Police as my complaint was made while I was still a member.

Wanting the wrong doing to go on and not to be questioned appears a little warped to me. But that is his opinion and he is entitled to his opinion.



If you're alone and against the flow of the current, you can only do so much Luqman Sir. That is the reality of the situation. If your actions are deemed harmful so as to cause disrepute and tarnishing the good name of the association then you are done for. Don't force yourself into a "room" which you yourself cannot assimilate very well. Hard maybe for you to admit this but the real problem could be you NOT them. Imperfections are everywhere whereas perfection and perfectionist are subjectively superficial.


My comment: Again this man has got it all wrong. Real strength lies in knowing you will survive even when you are alone, and being so won’t stop you from living the life you are meant to have.

When I fight my battles alone, like I have done many times throughout my life, I can give it everything I’ve got and only be answerable to myself. It is exhilarating to think about, being strong and unbeatable – one person going against so many so called professionals!

Anyway, I was never alone in this battle; I had strong support from a few friends all the way up to the present. I also understand that there are many standing in the shadows cheering me on.

More importantly I have Mother Nature with me all the way.

(Note: "...the real problem could be you NOT them." This statement is familiar and was written in an email by one of the club members.This statement together with a few other statements prompts me to think this commenter is possibly speaking for and on behalf of LCKKHost)


Luqman, there are loopholes in everything…..  I am not suggesting that you stop correcting the wrongs but you ought to be prepared for any eventuality and must learn how to stop when you hit the wall. If you pursue further you're hurting yourself and your family for great unnecessary mental distress you're subjecting yourself and your innocent family into. In the process you're creating more enemies as you burned all the bridges.


My comment: Yes, loopholes are everywhere but each of us can plug the loopholes that we encounter. I have not hit the wall. I gave the club a chance to let it go on numerous occasion. But, they refused and Francis Liew wrote some stupid things in the papers which I have addressed in my blog post. Don’t forget that Francis Liew was the one who had confirmed in writing to me that the minutes were altered by the president and he amended his minutes. What truth can you expect from such a person?

How can I be hurting myself when I am fighting for justice with Mother Nature by my side? Hurting my family? I will be hurting my family if I do not do what they have always expected me to do. After living with me for such a long time they know my character and will be disappointed if I do not do what I am doing.

Creating more enemies? All this man has to do is to check my Face Book account to see how many Lions and Rotarians from around the world have added me as their friend in the last one month.


If highlighting and creating public awareness is your primary intention then you've already done more than necessary. You must programme yourself when to stop. I read your earlier post as to how far had you brought this matter to. What more do you want? Criminal actions? then provide the necessary evidence if you’ve any. Deregistration? let the ROS decide if there are basis. Those who are running the association are seemingly well to do and educated people. I don't suppose they put themselves at risk for such a "small change".


My response: Yes, highlighting and creating public awareness is the main reason. I will stop when I need to stop and no one is going to prepare programmes for me to tell me when to stop.

As for criminal action I had signed off the police complaint made as I thought that it was enough. Not because there was not enough evidence but I thought it was enough and I should move on. Now, I am amassing more evidence.

It is usually the seemingly well to do that usually are greedy for more.

This man is mixing up an educated person with an intelligent person. One may be educated but not necessarily intelligent.


If these guys from LCKKHost had an ounce of intelligence would they respond to ROS within a day and boast about it in my FB page? Would they respond to the newspaper article within a day and give me so many leads?


How does this guy know the amount involved is “small change”? This has been going on for tens of years. Did this guy not hear of the Malay proverb “sedikit dikit lama lama jadi bukit.”

OR as in English “Little drops make an ocean”. 

Chinese equivalent: Ji 1 Shao3 Cheng2 Duo1

Tamil equivalent: Adimel adi aditthal ammiyum nakarum



OR  "Ciṟu tuḷi peru veḷḷam"

No comments: