Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Lions Club - Mysterious bank accounts



Here is an extract of a long email to DG Eve Wong, Thomas Ho Thau Phin, LCI and me written on 21.3.2017 by John SF Ho. 

I have not published this earlier but since matters have come this far there should be no holds barred. Please bear in mind that this email was written by John SF Ho in March 2017 and I just let it be.
Part of that email is as follows:

LM also has the audacity to endlessly accuse KK Host of misappropriation of funds and steal from funds meant for the needy. Isn’t it the onus on him to prove all these very serious allegations and not for us to prove our innocence? Is having more than 2 bank accounts acceptable evidence? Can he tell you the amount misappropriated? Can he name the person or persons who have “stolen” the money? Can he state on which day or days the funds were misappropriated?

My comment now: AND the members of Lions Club of Kota Kinabalu Host and the DG, VDG (Pelly Lee at that time) and LCI think these are profound questions and it is I who has to prove that funds have been misappropriated by LCKKHost.

The fact that John Ho and gang expelled me from the club is to prevent me from asking for the accounts of the other 3 bank accounts for audit. Once I have been expelled I am ineligible to ask for accounts to be checked.

Looking at each of the questions raised above it is obvious that these are questions from a guilty person. It would have been a simple matter of producing the bank statements and accounts of the remaining 3 bank accounts that were not presented to the Board of Directors.

Now, please ask yourself as to how I am to tell the amount misappropriated if I have not been presented the bank statements and accounts. I know I can do an excellent audit job but definitely not without the accounts.

If only 2 bank accounts out of 5 were presented to me as one of the directors for YEAR 2015/2016 and if the auditor Horace Ho Toh Chee has confirmed in writing that he was only given two bank accounts to audit when he was the auditor (in a different year) and if ROS has only been handed 2 bank accounts for recording purposes over many years then the question one has to ask besides many other questions is whether the Club has breached the Societies Act. We will come to this later otherwise I will be jumping all over the place.

The only thing I will like to highlight here is that I have not specifically complained about this to ROS.

Neither have I given ROS the following statement signed by John Ho and Joseph Chai. Unfortunately I cannot interrogate either one of them or the other 2, namely Dr. Arabi Wazani and Tan Sing Ben who are the people responsible for opening the bank accounts.

 The moment I start writing just on one point of John’s letter I have to spend an inordinate amount of time. There are many more points from other parts of the email but let us just stick with this and look at it from other angles.

Now, Joseph Chai was the one responsible to open the three bank accounts in Alliance Bank under the name Lions Club of Kota Kinabalu Host. I believe no one else in Sabah could have opened an account under this name in Alliance bank as one cannot open a bank account under a name without its Certificate of registration. I understand Alliance Bank was previously Sabah Bank and Joseph Chai was a senior officer in that bank.

Another two bank accounts were opened and operated in Hong Leong Bank but the name of the account was under the name ‘Lions Club of Kota Kinabalu’. I would guess that the accounts could not be opened with the suffix Host as the Certificate of Registration did not have that suffix.

Let us see if ROS has any jurisdiction over this when I write to them early next week.

I don’t think I should get personal but even matters subsequently discussed at a Board Meeting where Joseph Chai had admitted that there were extra 3 bank accounts were not recorded in the minutes. Who instructed these not to be recorded? Our Robert’s Rules experts will come up with some cockamamie stories which the rest of the club members will just swallow hook, line and sinker.

Let us now look at the statement that I mentioned above on another day, this has become too long as it is….

No comments: