Thursday, December 1, 2016

Lion’s Mission and Vision statement



I have just returned after a week from a family get together in Port Dickson. I decided to check up a little more on the Mission and Vision statements of the Lion’s Club.

Mission Statement
To empower volunteers to serve their communities, meet humanitarian needs, encourage peace and promote international understanding through Lions clubs.
Vision Statement
To be the global leader in community and humanitarian service

I shall think aloud on how the Mission and Vision statements reconcile with what has been happening in my club here in Kota Kinabalu.


I had stopped writing to other club members since 8.11.2016 on the request of our chairperson, Nenita Tan, of our Past President Council. But I believe it is best that I continue writing and sharing my opinion with others so that others may learn from our mistakes. I have always shared my ideas with others since I was a young adult and I see no reason to stop it now.

Whenever a Lions club gets together, problems are supposed to get smaller. That's because we are supposed to help where help is needed with unmatched integrity and energy.

Unfortunately there is no integrity in many of the things done by my club members. If my club members had helped when help was needed I will not have to waste so much of my precious time on writing this blog. The Past President Council has also spent a lot of time resolving this matter when it could have been determined on the onset.

I shall recollect some of these matters in my posts and anyone of you is welcome to give me your comments.
I have mentioned many of these things in my earlier posts but allow me to state them again as almost all the members in my club are biased and appear not to see the problems in my club.

In May 2016 at a BOD meeting I had requested the secretary to write and ask for the ‘100% Perfect Attendance Pin’. No one in the BOD had a definite answer on who is eligible for this pin and there was again uncertainty on the question of ‘Make-up meeting’.

The minutes of that BOD’s meeting had asked the BOD to find out more information on the ‘100 % Perfect Attendance Pin’ and 'Make-up meeting' rules.

Here is an extract of the 12th BOD/Regular meeting held on 8.6.2016:


Lion Luqman would like to ask for the 100% Attendance Award from the Board. Board try and find out the make-up rules for the 100% Attendance awards.

Since I was a Director I made a search on the internet but was not quite contented with what I had found. Meanwhile I went to Tip of Borneo for a 3 day visit with a friend from Kuala Lumpur. At this time my President Carol Lo telephoned me and asked me to find out about the two matters as she wanted to get this information before her time as President was over.

On my return I wrote to a few friends in US and received the required information. I then wrote an email to all members of my club so that all may be informed.

A member, John S F Ho who was not even at the BOD’s meeting and who knew nothing about what had transpired wrote to the members and said that it was unnecessary for me to have written to get a response from outside the club as there were members like him who knew all the answers.

Here are extracts of emails from John S F Ho:



Incidentally, while writing this email, Lion Luqman’s email enclosing his friend’s responses to his questions, arrived. There is nothing there that we do not already know and it certainly reinforces my statement “it is unnecessary to have to seek the answers from a friend in US” and I am very concerned what impressions Lion Luqman’s friend would have on us.

My comment now: How can this guy say that 'there is nothing there that we do not already know'? He was not even there at the BOD meeting. I had only done what the BOD instructed the directors to do. I had complied with my President's personal request. Who is John S F Ho to write and say what he said?

Now, I have been writing my blog and hundreds of readers from other clubs in Sarawak have read my posts and no one has said anything about impressions created. In fact I have readers, Lions as well as FB readers, advising me how to go about this matter.

John S F Ho further wrote:



Maybe Lion Luqman should ask his very knowledgeable friend in US. Better still, maybe he should forward all our exchange of correspondence to his friend in US and ask him, in particular, whether he finds anything in our emails incorrect or unlionistic.

I have saved John Ho the trouble by writing my blog now. I have started the process of forwarding my blog name to all other members in our district for their views and comments if any. I have completed writing to Kuching Lions club and have now embarked on writing to Sibu Lions Clubs.John is free to forward my blog to anyone he likes.

Now, what help did the members of my club give me when John ho made those uncalled for remarks in emails addressed to all members of my club?

Why didn’t even one of my club members respond to the email written by John S F Ho and tell that smart Alex that I did what I did because the BOD had asked members of the BOD to find an answer?

How does the Mission and Vision statement of the Lion’s Club reconcile with non-response of my club members?

Why did my club members let this discussion blow out of proportion?

How do members of my club “encourage peace and promote international understanding through Lions clubs” (Mission Statement) when they cannot even encourage peace among fellow members?

How does a club like ours become a “global leader in community and humanitarian service” (Vision statement) when they fail to even lead our own club?

No comments: