Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Legality of Board of Directors/Regular Members meeting



My Lions Club had its 6th BOD meeting/Regular Meeting on 6.12.2016.
It was at this meeting that it was decided that an EGM will be called to decide on the expulsion of me, Luqman Michel, from the club.

Now, in my club there are a few, so called experts, who claim to be well versed in Robert’s Rule.

1.       My President Thomas Ho Thau Phin had recently via an e-mail asked my sponsor Norman Lie to ask me to read the Robert’s Rules to understand how a meeting is conducted.

Here is an extract of the email from Thomas Ho:

“Please inform him that if he wishes to know whether and when he can speak at meetings, he should refer, read and understand Robert's Rules of order ( Newly Revised ) mentioned in KK Host Constitution & By Laws Article XV and also in Article X of our District 308 A2 Constitution and By Laws.”

2.       Pung Chen Choon, a Past President, has even given talks on Robert’s Rules to Lions members and Leos at an orientation seminar held in the recent past in Yaho Hotel.
3.       Our in-house expert on Robert’s Rules, PDG John S F Ho who has said that he has been a member of my club for over 40 years and knows everything and should be approached when we need an answer to questions pertaining to club matters.
4.       Nenita Tan, the Chairman of our Past Presidents Council.

At the recently concluded BOD meeting on 6.12.2016, where Pung Chen Choon was absent, a Marcia Hong was present in the room where the meeting was concluded.

To add insult to injury she blurted out some words angrily and at the top of her voice during the meeting. This cannot be denied as the President has voice taped the whole meeting procedure.

The following is from the internet:
The decision, as to who (if anyone) other than the directors themselves will be permitted to attend a particular meeting of the board, is a decision to be made by the board as a whole and not by any given individual director. It would be made like any other board decision, by a majority vote of those directors. Therefore, an individual director has no right to invite any third person, for example his or her own lawyer, to attend a board meeting.
Marcia Hong is PDG John S F Ho’s wife. It must be stressed that John Ho is not a director. I was present at the meeting from the onset and only listened and did not utter a word until the matter about my expulsion was discussed. When I spoke a few words Marcia Hong interrupted the meeting with her blurting.

John S F Ho also interrupted and I had to ask him to shut up as he ought to know about Robert's Rules. When I continued he even got up from his chair and stood up while interrupting. With the stress and chaos created I was unable to continue with what I wanted to say.

A Past President Chin Chee Thau asked Marcia Hong to stop talking (shouting) and asked her to get out of the room. PDG John Ho intercepted and rebuked Chin Chee Thau by saying who is Chin to ask Marcia Hong to stop talking. He said that the only person who could ask her to keep silent is the President.

Marcia Hong is not a member of our club.

1.       How was Marcia Hong allowed to interrupt the meeting let alone to sit and listen to the whole club proceedings?
2.       What happened to the experts on Robert’s Rules?
3.       Is this the way to conduct meetings according to Robert’s Rules?
    4. Is it true that only the President is allowed to ask a non member to leave a room where a BOD meeting
        is being conducted? If so, I earnestly request our Robert's Rules experts to give me the page where this
        can be found. If not, I believe, John S F Ho needs to apologise to PP Chin Chee Thau at the next
        meeting or if he unable to be present an apology in writing by him to be read out at the next meeting
        and duly minuted.


 AND we give talks about Robert’s Rules and how to conduct meetings! What a travesty!

PDG John S F Ho and President Thomas Ho Thau Phin have given the impression that the President is supreme when in actual fact he has limited power (No absolute authority) and his authority to act comes from directives of the BOD’s, club members and club’s constitution and by-laws. He works in cooperation and has shared responsibilities with the BOD.

The question I would like to raise now and find out from a lawyer is the legality of the meeting. I believe it should be void. Does anyone have any idea?
Note: Tomorrow I will write more on other illegal matters in my club. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha ...you're a real warrior, my friend. I believe you are not emotional?

Luqman Michel said...

Hello Polo Marpolo, Thank you for your comment.
No, I would not say I am a warrior but I have been teaching dyslexic children for 15 years now and find it easier to teach them than the members of my club. I have been writing emails to all my club members since May this year. No one responded but now they are scrambling to put things right which is all I want from them.

I wanted to do it quietly but they want the whole world to know.......... what am I to do?

Once again thank you for your comment.

Luqman Michel said...

Since this post I have written to Kim Goldsworthy and have received his response on his letter head. You may refer to it at
https://myclubexperiences.blogspot.com/2019/11/kim-goldsworthy-letter-transcribed.html